The long waiting is over. Today Pentaho announced the release of Pentaho Reporting 3.8.0 and the BI-Server 3.8.0.
This release is mainly a bug-fix release with only few new features. Over the last few months we concentrated on making this release a “god damn stable” beast. With 132 cases solved and numerous blocker-class fixes resolved, I think we reached that goal.
On the new-feature side, we still have some good things to report:
- Report data can and will be cached now. This way, the interactive parameter display and designing reports is more responsive now.
- The SingleValueQuery- and MultiValueQuery-Function can now be used to define dynamic default selections in parameter.
- You can redefine the list of output types that are available for a report
- Pentaho-Metadata datasources can now accept multi-selection parameter.
- Our Pentaho-Metadata datasource got a new Advanced mode to calculate the query string in a expression.
- There’s a whole bunch of new barcode-types available.
- LibLoader is more aggressive on caching data from HTTP connections. So even if your service does everything wrong when it comes to cache-headers, we will handle that gracefully now. And best of all: In most cases you can “just use it(tm)”. You don’t need to configure a single bit.
- Thanks to KSK Solutions in Japan, we now have a Japanese translation for the Pentaho Report Designer
- There is a experimental CDA datasource now. It works, even though it is still a bit flaky in Edit-Mode in the Report Designer.
Now the release is done, and there is only one thing left to do: Doug, please, please upload the product to SourceForge quickly, so that everyone can download it.