Yesterday, the 5th sprint (a bug-fixing sprint) finished. There was some serious action going on and now the product is a lot more fun to use than before.
How much fun? Watch the video of the End-of-sprint demonstration.
Why dont you download it and see how it works. If – no, when – you find bugs, please tell us via either the forum or JIRA.
Download the milestone from our Sourceforge page.
After the last weeks of franticly adding new features (or restoring old features, which is almost the same) to the new Report-Designer, we now have to kill some of the more anoying bugs. How can we know whether we are moving in the right direction, if the view is obscured by a large pile of nasty insects crawling out of our keyboards?
So we squash. We started Thursday, and at the end of Friday, about 24 bugs were dead. But its not the body-count that asstonished everyone, its the ease of the kill. With all the work spent in creating a “Better Architecture”(tm), we were not able to easily prove the need for it. (Developers apparently always bitch about bad code. Just as taxes are always way to high, code is always way to bad.)
24 bugs. 2 days.
Looking back one year, a similar bug-hunt costed 6 weeks and the will-to-live of many brave developers. 6 weeks! 2 days.
Now that’s what I call an improvement! And the bug season will be open for another 3 days. So let’s raise the body-count.
As regular reader you may have noticed that the appearance of this blog has changed. After running into a couple of issues and being faced with the option to either manually fix every single link in the old Blog-system or to switch over to a PHP driven system, I was torn. I dont trust PHP enough to let it loose on my system for security reasons. I admit, I love Java beyond reason. What other system allows you to lock down the VM so safely that evil-doers cannot do evil at all?
Does it work? Yes, as proven by this machine. Is it complicated to set up? Not at all. Just drop the WAR file in, add your JDBC-driver, copy your PHP files in, run.
And now that writing Blog-Entries is no longer a pain, I’m tempted to write more often.
I just noticed that the friggin’ import lost all links, all tables and all images thanks to a overly active “html validator” that strips all tags it does not understand. So maybe I exchanged one can of worms with a just another one.
Update: It seems the “kses.php” file (or Quercus’ interpretation of the same) is to blame for the troubles. The file contains a check on whether a attribute validation definition is a empty-string. For some reason, Quercus believes that a empty array *is* a empty string. Forcing it to use a stricter check (three equals signs instead of two) solved the issue so far.